Monday, July 12, 2010

Letter Sent

by Kenn Miranda


I remember the time when you asked to spend the whole day with me. I did not go to school then. We went to the park at around nine in the morning. I still have the wound I got from falling from the slide. You were really heavy when I pushed you at the swings…

We had lunch at our favorite place. You even ordered two extra servings of rice. When was our first meal there? I don’t remember… and we didn’t even receive a discount even after eating there for a hundred times… next time, I choose our favorite place to eat. The, we went to see a movie. Well, you went to see a movie, I simply accompanied you… I wanted to go bowling. It was a love story… I don’t like love stories, they always end up happy no matter what happens.

After the movie, we went to the beach. It was something you wanted to do since we were together. I guess I had fun too, if it wasn’t for us forgetting to bring extra clothes. At around seven in the evening we were still sitting by the shore. I gave you a necklace, one with a star charm. I even made you promise to not go anywhere. And I guess it was also the first time I said that I loved you…

By that time, I already knew you were sick. That you were diagnosed with a disease that erases your memories one by one… that is why I wanted to make this day special - even though you might not remember it at all. I just wanted to be able to say that we spent an awesome day together… and you had fun.

You said you were scared. You did not want to forget.

Still, I hated you for breaking your promise. I told you not to go anywhere. It’s unfair that, from where you are now, you can see me every day.

I hate that this is all I could do. But hopefully as this letter travels as a folded airplane, you would remember, again and again, how beautiful you are. As this letter goes by the wind, I hope you would never forget the day that I tried my best to force myself into your memory… so deep that even as you forget everything, I can stay. I’ll make you remember. I’ll make you not forget… even if I have to make thousands of paper airplanes…

With this letter, I am giving you a part of your memory. How I wish that giving you this means me forgetting it. I hope that I get sick with the same disease… it would be much easier…

I now hate watching love stories more than before…. Cause I kept wishing that the ending I once hated is now mine…

0 comments:

Post a Comment